Reducing rostering admin time from weeks to minutes
About Tallaght University Hospital
Tallaght University Hospital (TUH) is one of Ireland’s major academic teaching hospitals. With 562 beds, 12 theatres and 14 critical care beds – the 3,000 staff treat over 410,000 patients per year.
TUH’s medical workforce team was responsible for creating call rosters for 86 junior doctors. The manual process of generating these quarterly rosters was complex and time-consuming, requiring at least 12 person weeks per year.
There were some complex requirements and rules to
- Three rosters were required for 30 registrars, 30
SHOs and 26 interns, four times per year.
- Objectives included: even distribution of time
worked, weekends/holidays allocated, call type and
maximising call intervals.
- 17 constraints included: avoiding working consecutive weekends, required gaps between call to meet EWTD regulations, doctors from the same specialty not on call on the same day, plus other specialty and consultant specific restrictions.
How MedModus Helped
TUH replaced complex and time-consuming manual processes with an automated Roster Optimisation Tool to produce rosters in less than 10 minutes.
Our rostering tool uses an advanced mathematical optimisation model to achieve all rostering objectives while ensuring all constraints are adhered to.
The tool also considers annual and other forms of leave.
Thousands of roster permutations were tested in order to produce an optimal result.
- Time to produce each roster reduced from 1 week to less than 10 minutes
- Roster rule breaches reduced by 95%
- More accurate and fairer rosters
- Improved EWTD compliance
- Productivity of 12 weeks per year
- Fast turnaround for roster changes
- Wider application to other disciplines
- Roster generation and management app to
handback the process to HR
- Managed service to help TUH as needed
“Producing these rosters was a real headache for our department. The number of factors to consider made it time- consuming and prone to error. The automation of this process has resulted in fairer rosters with less errors and saved valuable HR time.”
Sharon Larkin, Human Resources Director, Tallaght University Hospital
SEE HOW IT WORKS
Please complete the form below and we’ll be in touch to show you MedModus Rostering in action