Reducing rostering admin time from weeks to minutes
About Tallaght University Hospital
TUH’s medical administration team was responsible for creating call rosters for almost 60 junior doctors. The manual process of generating these rotas was complex and time-consuming, requiring at least 200 hours per year.
- There were some complex requirements and restrictions to consider:
Two rosters were required for 38 registrars and 20 interns, four times per year
- Objectives included: even distribution of time worked, weekends/holidays allocated, call type and maximising call intervals
- 17 constraints included: not working two weekends consecutively, six-day gaps between call to meet European Working Time Directive (EWTD) regulations, registrars from the same specialty not on call on the same day or consecutive days, plus other specialty and consultant specific restrictions.
How MedModus Helped
TUH replaced complex and time-consuming manual processes with an automated Roster Optimisation Tool to produce rosters in less than 10 minutes.
Our rostering tool uses an advanced mathematical optimisation model to achieve all rostering objectives while ensuring all constraints are adhered to.
The tool also considers annual and other forms of leave.
Thousands of roster permutations were tested in order to produce an optimal result.
- Time to produce each roster reduced from 1 week to less than 10 minutes
- More accurate and fairer rosters
- Improved EWTD compliance
- Productivity of 200 hours per year
- Fast turnaround if roster changes
- Wider application to other disciplines
“Producing these rosters was a real headache for our department. The number of factors to consider made it time- consuming and prone to error. The automation of this process has resulted in fairer rosters with less errors and saved valuable HR time.”
Sharon Larkin, Human Resources Director, Tallaght University Hospital